A Few Questions About Dangerous Goods Training in Australia

Dangerous goods training in Australia may be required for your workers if you process, package, and ship anything considered dangerous. This would include any substance that could be a hazard to human health or the environment, including certain chemicals, cleansers, pesticides, and the like. Flammable materials are also typically considered dangerous goods. If your facility handles these types of goods, note a few questions you might have about dangerous goods training for your staff and then, if necessary, discuss these with an attorney who can advise you on your rights and obligations as a business owner.

1. Do warehouse personnel need training even if they don't handle the actual goods themselves?

Persons who work in the storage industry typically must receive dangerous goods training even if dangerous goods are always securely packed and are not opened or actually handled. Remember that dangerous goods training will include training on what to do in case of spills, fires, and other such accidents, and it's vital that your entire staff be properly trained for these scenarios and not just trained in how to actually handle dangerous goods themselves. They will also be trained in proper packaging and placards use and placement, and this too is important for those working in the storage industry even if they don't actually open packages.

2. Are courses valid if offered online?

 Many organizations that offer certified courses offer them online, either as a webinar, meaning a live demonstration, or as a recorded course that your employees can take when convenient. As long as the courses meet all certification requirements for dangerous goods training, there is typically no need to take the training in person or even with a live presentation online, as a recorded course is typically sufficient.

3. What is revalidation training?

After taking initial training, you are typically required to take revalidation training every few years, depending on the course you need to take and your industry. You will need to always have an initial training certificate before you can take revalidation training, even if you have experience in working with dangerous goods. If your initial certificate has expired, you are usually required to take that initial training again in order to qualify for revalidation training. If you're unsure of which type of course you need to take to keep your certificate current and in good order, ask a trainer before you sign up or sign up anyone on your staff.

About Me

Learning for my own sake

When I was younger most of my learning was about helping my career or making sure I was qualified for new roles. Now that I am older and have some spare time, I am actually starting to get excited about learning for the pure sake of learning new facts. I have started doing a course in Viking history, and it's so interesting. I hadn't realised how complex their society was or how much effect Vikings had had on modern society. This blog is about going back to learning and starting to learn for your own interest, not just for career development.


Latest Posts

13 September 2017
There are many general reasons to consider becoming a homestay host family, from broadening your cultural understanding to adding a new dimension to y

18 January 2017
Many children love their daycares and can't wait to go back there--but there are just as many who don't, and many parents feel as though they hear abo

30 December 2016
For many mothers re-entering the workforce, finding child care that can meet their practical, emotional, and financial requirements can be a tough tas